- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 4 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, drained and picked to remove shells
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Roasted Red-Pepper Sauce
In a large skillet, heat butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce, salt, and pepper; saute until the vegetables have softened, 8 to10 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
Transfer the cooled vegetable mixture to a medium bowl. Add crabmeat, bread crumbs, basil, mayonnaise, mustard, and eggs, and stir to combine well. With your hands, shape mixture into 2-inch patties.
Heat oven to 250 degrees. In a large saute pan, heat 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add 8 to 10 crab cakes, and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Transfer crab cakes to a baking sheet, and keep warm in the oven. Repeat, cooking the remaining crab cakes, adding remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil as needed. Serve hot with roasted red-pepper dip.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, November 2000