This tasty stuffing comes courtesy of culinary historian Anne Willan and can be used for her recipe for Poule au Pot, or chicken in a pot.
- Yield: Makes enough for one 6-pound chicken
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 2137
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chicken livers (about 2 ounces total), chopped and membrane discarded
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces Bayonne or other raw, cured ham, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
In a small skillet, heat oil over medium heat; add livers and cook, stirring, 1 to 2 minutes. Place in a large bowl along with breadcrumbs, ham, garlic, parsley, sage, red pepper, and nutmeg (or allspice); mix well. Season with salt and pepper; stir in egg until well combined.