Sesame Seared Tuna with Ginger-Carrot Dipping Sauce
They may be tiny, but seeds pack a powerful nutritional punch.
For the Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons white miso
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup carrot juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 scallion, green part only, thinly sliced
For the Tuna
- 3 tablespoons unhulled white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon unhulled black sesame seeds
- 1 pound sushi-grade yellowfin tuna, cut into 4-ounce rectangular pieces
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
Make the dipping sauce: Combine mirin, miso, ginger, carrot juice, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, red-pepper flakes, and sesame oil in a small bowl, whisking until miso dissolves. Sprinkle with sliced scallion.
Make the tuna: Combine sesame seeds in a shallow dish. Press tuna pieces into seeds, turning to coat each side. Heat oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add tuna, and cook each side until white seeds are golden, about 20 seconds per side. Transfer tuna to a paper-towel-lined plate for 1 minute, then cut each piece into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Serve with dipping sauce.