Marinated Leg of Lamb
- 1 cup Sangiovese wine
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups loose rosemary leaves, very finely ground (about 3/4 cup)
- 8 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 five-pound butterflied leg of lamb, flattened
Combine the wine, olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper. Place the lamb in a shallow pan, and pour the marinade over the meat. Cover and refrigerate, turning and rotating the lamb periodically, for 4 to 5 hours.
Remove the lamb from the marinade. Pat dry with paper towels. Wrap the piece of meat around the rotisserie rod. Secure with clamps and tie the rolled roast together with cotton string.
Cook over the prepared coals until the meat is the desired temperature, 145 degrees for medium-rare, 160 degrees for medium, about 2 hours.