This delicious asparagus soup recipe is courtesy of Scott Conant's "Bold Italian."
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Serves 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, July Summer 2007
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed, chopped, tips reserved
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock or store-bought low-sodium canned chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed spinach leaves
In a medium saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are tender and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
Add chopped asparagus, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer; continue cooking until asparagus is tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare and ice-water bath. Fill a medium saucepot with water and bring to a boil. Add salt, return to a boil, and add asparagus tips. Cook until just tender. Transfer asparagus tips to ice-water bath; let cool about 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
Remove from heat; add spinach. Using an immersion blender, puree soup while drizzling in remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Return to heat and cook until heated through; season with salt. Divide soup evenly between 4 bowls, garnish with asparagus tips, and serve immediately.