Muesli is a Swiss word meaning "mush," but it's usually eaten as a cold cereal. Use whatever fruit and nuts you like, for a total of two cups of fruit and three-quarters of a cup of nuts.
- 5 cups rolled oats, 1 pound
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup whole hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried apple slices
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix oats with cinnamon, spread on a baking sheet, and toast for 15 minutes.
Toast hazelnuts until skins loosen, about 10 minutes. Rub off skins, and chop coarsely. Toast almonds for about 4 minutes.
Combine nuts with oats, wheat germ, and dried fruit. Toss together, and store in an airtight jar. Muesli will keep for several weeks. Serve with hot or cold milk.