Beef Barley Soup
The addition of exotic mushrooms to flavorful homemade beef stock turn a familiar favorite -- beef barley soup -- into a special winter meal. Serve with crusty bread, a robust red wine, and a salad, and you'll have a deliciously comforting meal.
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds beef shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 small yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups Homemade Beef Stock Homemade Beef Stock
- 1 bouquet garni of rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 acorn squash
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, such as cultivated white, cremini, yellowfoot, chanterelle, hedgehog, or black trumpet, cut into 1-inch pieces
Heat butter and oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Sear meat in two batches on all sides until well browned, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove meat with a slotted spoon, and set aside. Add onions, and cook, stirring constantly, until well caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Return meat to pot, and add stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour. Add bouquet garni, barley, and vegetables, and simmer for 1 hour, adding more stock if necessary. Adjust seasonings.