Celery Root and Walnut Salad
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest (2 to 3 lemons total)
- 1 1/4 pounds celery root, (also called celeriac)
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons muscatel-wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Fill a medium bowl two-thirds full with cold water; add 1/4 cup lemon juice. Trim top and bottom of celery roots, then peel with a vegetable peeler or paring knife. Transfer to lemon water.
Toast walnuts in 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add shallot; cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in lemon zest. Set aside.
Whisk together remaining 1/2 cup lemon juice, vinegar, and remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a small bowl. Cut celery root into matchsticks (or julienne using a mandoline). Toss celery root with walnut mixture in a serving bowl; add parsley. Pour dressing over salad. Season with salt and pepper; toss well. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.