Homemade Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
This recipe for vegan Worcestershire sauce makes a fresher alternative to store-bought sauce. Try using it to make Colin Quinn's Irish Lamb Stew.
- 2 cups apple-cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground yellow mustard seed or dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to a simmer and cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 20 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and let cool completely before using. Worcestershire sauce may be stored in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 3 months.