Sauteed Beef with Asparagus and Corn
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Everyday Food, April 2006
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch medium-size asparagus, (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces on the diagonal
- 10 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded (caps halved if large)
- 1 (10 ounces) frozen corn kernels, unthawed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound top blade chuck steak, sliced into thin 2-inch-long strips (any gristle removed)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
In a 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Add asparagus, mushrooms, and corn; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until asparagus are lightly browned and tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Remove from heat and transfer vegetables to a bowl. In another bowl, toss together beef, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cornstarch until coated.
Reheat skillet over high heat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add beef and cook, without stirring, until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Add asparagus mixture and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Cook, tossing, until sauce has thickened slightly, about 30 seconds. Serve.