Basic Meat Sauce
From here on, as far as were concerned, this is Your Famous Lasagna, sure to star at weekend parties and weeknight meals for years to come. Your secret's safe with us.
- Yield: Makes 5 cups
Source: Blueprint, September/October 2007
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled plum tomatoes with juice
- Ricotta Filling
- 2 containers (15 ounces each) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf
- parsley (optional)
- 1 large egg
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add beef and cook, breaking up with a spoon until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and juice, breaking up tomatoes. Simmer over medium heat until thickened and saucy, 45 to 60 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Season with salt and pepper.