Turkey and Vegetable Pilaf
- Servings: 8
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 3 cups Turkey Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups onion, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup celery, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups shredded turkey meat
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice, such as Uncle Ben's
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat stock in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat; season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt; cook, covered, until translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in carrots, celery, and remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in cumin and oregano. Add white wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook until almost all of liquid is evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; reduce heat to medium. Season with salt and pepper; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in turkey and rice.
Add heated stock to pot; bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in peas; simmer until rice is just covered with liquid. Cover, and transfer to oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork. Stir in parsley. Serve immediately.