Herb and Garlic Marinade
Note: This basic marinade, also good with chicken, imparts a bright flavor and keeps meats moist. It's perfect for grilling and also enhances the flavors of fresh vegetables, tofu, and soft cheeses. The marinade doesn't work well as a sauce, so discard it before cooking.
- Yield: Makes 3/4 cup
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2003
- 2 to 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup mixed fresh herbs, such as oregano, thyme, savory, sage, parsley, and rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped garlic
- Zest of 1 lemon (1 tablespoon)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
Whisk together ingredients in a nonreactive dish.