Recipe from The Martha Stewart Show TV kitchen.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 extra-thin slices white sandwich bread
- 4 ounces fresh crab meat
- 1 tablespoon very finely chopped red pepper
- 2 teaspoons very finely sliced chives, plus more for garnish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour and cook until foamy, about 1 minute. Add milk slowly, whisking constantly. Slowly bring mixture to a boil, continue whisking, and cook until very thick, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper; let cool. When cool, gently fold in crab, red pepper, and chives.
Using a 1 1/4-inch round cutter, cut 6 rounds from each slice of bread. Mound 1 level teaspoon crab mixture onto each bread round. Place canapes on a baking sheet, and bake until bread is crisp on the bottom and crab is hot, about 10 minutes. Garnish with additional chives, and serve warm.