Wild and Brown Rice Salad
Our rice salad, which can be served chilled or at room temperature, includes three types of the grain -- wild, brown, and brown basmati -- as well as tomatoes, cucumber, celery, onion, and peppers. Any combination of rice or commercial blend of rice would work well in this recipe.
For the Dressing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
For the Salad
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice made according to package directions; 3 cups cooked brown and/or brown basmati rice (about 1 1/3 cups uncooked), made according to package directions
- 1 yellow bell pepper cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 seedless cucumber quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 ounces red cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and mustard; set aside.
Place the wild rice, brown rice, yellow pepper, red onion, celery, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Add the dressing, and toss well to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, September 2001