David Pasternack's Tomato Sauce
This recipe courtesy of David Pasternack.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon very thinly sliced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot (1 medium carrot)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery (1 rib)
- 42 ounces canned San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes (about 5 1/4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves, stems reserved
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic, and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in onion, carrot, and celery, and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes along with their juice, breaking them up with a whisk, and basil stems. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, about 45 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper. Stir in chopped basil; remove from heat. May be used immediately, or let cool until room temperature and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.