Shrimp My Way
With this recipe, author Mark Bittman proves that the most basic ingredients and simplest techniques can lead to something incredibly tasty.
- 1/4 extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 or 4 large cloves garlic, cut into thin slivers
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons spicy paprika
- 16 large shrimp, peeled
- Coarse salt
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup minced parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, or sherry vinegar, to taste
Combine the oil and garlic in a skillet no larger than 10 inches across. Turn the heat to medium, and cook until the garlic begins to sizzle, then turn the heat to medium-low. When the garlic is blond, stir in cumin and paprika. Add the shrimp, and raise the heat to high.
Cook, stirring occasionally and sprinkling with salt and cayenne, until the shrimp are all pink, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and add most of the parsley and the lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve garnished with the remaining parsley.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, July/August 1999