Carrot, Jicama, and Red Cabbage Slaw
Myriad flavors combine to create this tasty slaw, which can be served atop our Chorizo con Queso Tortas.
- 2 teaspoons whole anise seeds
- 2 cups julienned red cabbage
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup julienned jicama
- 1 large jalapeno, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 scant teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
Heat a small, heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat. Add anise seeds and toast, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove anise seeds from pan and let cool to room temperature.
In a large bowl, mix together cabbage, carrots, jicama, and jalapeno. Add lime juice, salt, sugar, cilantro, mint, and cooled anise seeds; toss to combine; let stand at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally, before serving. Slaw is best when made up to 3 days in advance and can be stored in an airtight container, refrigerated.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, March 2010