Braised Halibut Served in Casserole with Peas a la Francaise
This mouthwatering halibut recipe is courtesy of chef Eric Ripert, and goes wonderfully with his Arugula and Artichoke Salad.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, March Spring 2008
- 4 ounces bacon lardoons, cut into 3/4-by-1/4-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for baking dishes
- 12 pearl onions, peeled
- 4 halibut fillets (6 ounces each)
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 3 pounds fresh English peas, about 2 cups shelled
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock or Fish Fumet
- 4 small sprigs fresh mint, chopped
Divide bacon evenly between four 3-quart Dutch ovens. Place each over medium heat and cook until bacon is crisp and fat is rendered. Divide onions evenly between Dutch-ovens and add 1 tablespoon water to each; cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Season halibut fillets with salt and pepper and place one in each of the 4 Dutch-ovens. Add onions, peas, and lettuce around fillets; top each with 1 tablespoon butter and season with salt and pepper. Divide chicken stock evenly between dishes, cover, and place over high heat until liquid comes to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until a metal skewer inserted inside the fish for 5 seconds feels warm when touched, about 5 minutes.
Serve immediately sprinkled with chopped mint.