This recipe for passion-caramel filling is courtesy of chef Sebastien Rouxel of Bouchon Bakery and is used in his recipe for Cupid Cakes.
- Yield: Makes enough for 12 cupid cakes
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2009
- 6 1/2 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons prepared passion fruit puree
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon fleur de sel
Place chocolate and butter in a medium bowl and set aside. In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat sugar over high heat without stirring until sugar begins to melt and turn golden at the edges, about 4 minutes.
Carefully pour the passion fruit puree down the side of the saucepan in a slow, steady stream (it will spatter) and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Cook until mixture reaches 116 degrees on a candy thermometer. Add heavy cream, corn syrup, and salt; stir to combine.
Pour caramel mixture over chocolate, and stir until chocolate is melted and mixture is well combined; let cool slightly.