Sauteed Cajun Shrimp
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Serves 4
Source: Everyday Food, December 2006
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 red bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), sliced lengthwise into thin strips
- 8 ounces precooked andouille or kielbasa sausage, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 pound frozen large shrimp, thawed, peeled, and deveined
In a medium saucepan with a lid, heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium. Add onion; cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, and bring to a boil. Add rice; season with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium. Add bell peppers and cook until crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add sausage and shrimp; cook until shrimp is opaque, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide rice among four bowls; top with shrimp mixture, and drizzle with any pan juices. Serve.