Ham and Cheese Flower Sandwiches
- Yield: Makes 10
- 20 slices white bread
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced ham
- 1/2 pound sliced American cheese
- Pitted olives, for garnish (optional)
- Cherry tomatoes, halved, for garnish (optional)
Spread one side of 10 slices of bread with a thin layer of butter. Top each with a few slices of ham, and a slice of cheese. Using a 1-inch round biscuit cutter, cut a hole in the center of the remaining 10 slices of bread. Center the bread with the holes, over the ham and cheese. Using a 2 1/2-to-3-inch flower cookie cutter, cut out sandwiches, avoiding the crusts.
Fill the center hole with either, half a cherry tomato or an olive. If not serving immediately, cover with a damp paper towel or plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.