Chicken Stock for Consomme
- 5 pounds chicken backs, necks, and wings (or one 5 pound chicken)
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 8 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 2 dried bay leaves
In a large stockpot, combine all ingredients. Add enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, for 3 hours.
Prepare an ice bath. Strain stock through a fine sieve into a large bowl set in the ice bath. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until room temperature. Transfer to airtight containers. Will keep, refrigerated, for up to 3 days, frozen, for up to 3 months.