Fresh Robiola Wrapped in Mortadella
This tasty recipe for fresh robiola wrapped in mortadella is courtesy of Mario Batali and has been adapted for "The Martha Stewart Show."
- 12 to 14 thin slices mortadella (about 8 ounces), preferably imported Italian without pistachios
- 12 ounces fresh robiola (or substitute fresh goat cheese or fresh ricotta)
- 12 basil leaves
- 3 cups tender bitter greens, preferably young dandelion greens
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Coarse sea salt
Preheat a grill or grill pan.
Lay a piece of mortadella flat on your work surface. Place 2 tablespoons cheese in the center of the mortadella and form into a log parallel to you; place 1 basil leaf on top of cheese. Fold bottom of mortadella up over cheese and basil and fold in sides. Continue rolling away from you (like a burrito) to enclose; secure with a toothpick. Repeat process with remaining mortadella and cheese.
Place mortadella packets seam-side up on grill and cook until lightly charred, about 2 minutes. Turn packets and continue cooking until opposite side is charred, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a platter.
Place greens in a large bowl and toss with olive oil and vinegar; season with salt. Pile greens over mortadella packets; serve immediately.