This felt handbag is an adorable, easy-to-make accessory.
Tools and Materials
Rotary cutter and mat
Double-sided iron-on adhesive
Decorative quilting cotton
Heart Felt Bag How-To
1. Cut a piece of 11-by-17-inch felt. Cut a piece of double-sided iron-on adhesive slightly larger.
2. Iron adhesive onto decorative quilting cotton and trim around the paper-backed adhesive. Peel the paper backing away and iron the cotton onto the felt piece, following the adhesive manufacturer's instructions. Trim around the felt piece.
3. Cut four 1/2-inch-wide 6-inch strips of felt. Match two together, pin, and sew down the center lengthwise with a zigzag stitch to create half of the bag handle. Repeat to create the other half.
4. Lay the cotton-backed felt with the cotton side facing up. Fold 1 inch down on both short sides and press.
5. Attach a magnet closure to the flap on each side. Pin a handle piece in place at the center of each short side.
6. Using a zipper foot and less than a 1/8-inch seam allowance, stitch the folded sides down to create a hem at each short end, being sure to catch the strap piece in the seam.
7. Fold the piece in half with felt sides facing. Using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew up the sides of the bag. Create a 2-inch gusset at the bottom of each corner.
8. Turn the bag right-side out and sew the bag handle pieces together in the center to form a heart shape.
9. Print template and trace hearts onto different colors of felt. Cut hearts from felt and use fabric glue to attach to bag.
Martha used wool felt from Magic Cabin. Heat-N-Bond "Lite" iron-on adhesive is available from crafts or sewing-supply stores or at joann.com. Fabri-tac fabric glue is from Beacon Adhesives. Magnetic-snap closures are fromtallpoppycraft.com.