These festive felt stockings are a simple-to-sew craft perfect for decorating your home or giving as a gift to family and friends.
Tools and Materials
Felt (in assorted colors)
Needle and thread
1. Download stocking template, enlarge 150 percent, and print. Cut out stocking shape.
2. Lay stocking shape on top of 2 layers of felt; trace around stocking with disappearing-ink marker. Pin 2 layers of felt together and cut out, leaving a 5/8-inch seam allowance.
3. Sew along ink line, double stitching back and forth for an inch at 2 top edges for a strong opening.
4. Cut straight line along top stocking opening. Using pinking shears, trim out rest of the stocking, cutting 1/4-inch away from the seam.
5. Fold felt over 3 1/2 inches (as seen on template) for the cuff.
6. Make a loop for hanging: Using pinking shears, cut a 3/4-by-8-inch strip of felt. Fold in half, position inside the right side of the stocking cuff, and sew.
Tip: stitch "in the ditch" (in the seam) of the cuff so that the stitches are hidden.
7. Cut out shapes from template or of your own design from assorted colors of felt. Glue shapes to cuff with fabric glue.
Felt is available from purlsoho.com (800-597-7875). All other tools and materials are available at sewing-supply and crafts stores.