Make this charming animal trunk -- the perfect accessory for any kid's room.
Tools and Materials
Barn-red Milk Paint powder
Pumpkin Milk Paint powder
Receptacles for paint
Unfinished wooden trunk
Children's Animal Trunk How-To
1. Make the Milk Paint for the cutout animals: Mix 1 1/4 cup warm water, 1/4 cup barn-red Milk Paint powder, and 1/2 cup pumpkin Milk Paint powder. Stir well to avoid the paint displacing and clumping.
2. Paint animal cutouts with the blended paint. Coat each side twice, allowing to dry for 10 minutes between each coat. The paint dries considerably lighter, so it may take more than two coats to achieve a satisfactory color. Tip: When the cutouts are dry, they will feel powdery to the touch.
3. Make the Milk Paint for the trunk: Mix 1 cup warm water and 1 cup pumpkin Milk Paint powder. Stir well to avoid the paint displacing and clumping.
4. Paint trunk with several coats of the pumpkin-colored Milk Paint. The trunk surfaces will dry in about an hour.
5. Using a foam brush, paint wood glue onto one side and along every edge of the animal cutouts. Affix animals to the trunk lid as close together as possible. Tip: Lay out animals how you would like them before gluing.
6. Allow glue to dry. Cover entire trunk with a poly-acrylic sealant.
Milk Paint in barn red and pumpkin from milkpaint.com. Unfinished trunks available from Woodpecker Shop in Stamford, Connecticut. Cut-out animals from Lindahls Wood Crafts. Check out our animal-inspired ideas photo gallery for more beautiful crafts.