Tools and Materials
Cardboard pieces or boxes
Photo for framing
Frame back (stand) template for your frame size: 8-by-10-inch portrait or 8-by-10-inch landscape
Tools to make embellishments: hand punches, border punches, scissors, and/or craft knife
Premade embellishments: stickers, chipboard shapes, adhesive ribbon, etc.
Cardboard Frame How-To
1. With a box cutter, cut three pieces of cardboard to 8-by-10-inch rectangles.
2. To make the windowed part of the frame, mark and cut out a rectangle in the center of one piece of cardboard that is slightly smaller than the photo you would like to frame. Our photos were 5 by 7 inches, so we cut 4 1/2-by-6 1/2-inch windows.
3. For the back of the frame, mark the center of the bottom of a second piece of cardboard with a pencil. Place the template for your frame size on top of this piece of cardboard, lining up the horizontal line with its bottom edge matching the center marks. Tape in place. Cut the cardboard on the solid lines and score (cut halfway through the cardboard) on the dotted lines. Fold out the flaps on the scored (this will be the stand for your frame).
4. Tape the photo to the back of the windowed piece so it shows through the front of the frame, using transparent tape.
5. With double-sided tape, secure the center piece of cardboard to the back of the windowed piece. Do the same to attach the back piece (the stand) to the back of the frame.
6. Embellish the frame with punched paper, stickers, chipboard and card stock shapes, ribbon, and almost anything else you can think of.
Box cutter available from most hardware stores. All other tools and materials from Martha Stewart Crafts.
The UPS Store
Be sure to use The UPS Store for all your packing and shipping needs, whether it's a special gift for mom -- even if it's fragile or odd-size, The UPS Store has Certified Packing Experts to help. Special thanks to The UPS Store for giving the studio audience a Cardboard Frame Kit, which includes materials and instructions to build your own Cardboard Frame, and a 50-percent-off packaging coupon that includes packaging materials and packing service charges for The UPS Store.