Guest Marie Hejl demonstrated the following technique for embellishing Dr. Scholl's sandals and turning them into fashionable -- and functional -- works of art.
Tools and Materials
Blue painter's tape (3 mm)
White paper, optional
1-inch sponge brush
Acrylic paint, different colors
Sheer glossy varnish
Embellished Sandals How-To
1. Using a square of basic sandpaper, rub and wipe off Dr. Scholl's logo.
2. Place blue painter's tape along sole edge of shoe and where leather meets wood on strap (use 3 mm tape). You can also cut a small piece of white paper, folded into a square, tape it to strap.
3. Using a 1-inch sponge brush, apply acrylic paint over entire wood surface. Apply 3 coats, letting dry about 20 minutes between coats. Let dry overnight.
4. Starting at heel, apply strips of painter's tape across sandal, pressing firmly along edges.
5. Using a sponge brush, apply a different color of acrylic paint to each exposed part of the sandal.
6. Remove tape.
7. Using a sponge brush, apply 3 coats sheer glossy varnish over entire painted surface. Let dry 4 to 6 hours.
8. Remove tape from sandals.
For the paints used in today's segment, go to deltacreative.com. You can get Dr. Scholl's women's wood sandals in many colors at DrSchollsShoes.com and design your own unique footwear.
Special thanks to Marie Hejl for demonstrating her technique for embellishing sandals. Also, thanks to Dr. Scholl's for providing each member of our audience with a pair of exercise sandals.