Tools and Materials
Speckled Butterfly Easter Eggs and Boxes How-To
1. Cover work surface with scrap paper.
2. Paint exterior of an egg-shaped papier-mache box with acrylic craft paint as desired.
3. Mix equal parts of a contrasting-color paint and water in a bowl. Dip a toothbrush into thinned paint; shake off excess. With bristles facedown over box, draw the handle of a small brush across bristles to spray dots of paint. (Practice on scrap paper first.) Let dry.
4. Cut out butterflies from decorative paper using small scissors.
5. Attach a flat butterfly: Coat back of cut-out with Mod Podge using brush. Apply cutout to box; smooth using tip of brush handle. Let dry. To add glitter (optional), coat affixed cutout with Mod Podge. Sprinkle fine clear glass glitter; shake off excess. Let dry.
6. Attach a 3-D butterfly: Fold cutout along midline. To add glitter (optional), coat front of cutout with Mod Podge. Sprinkle glitter; shake off excess. Let dry. Apply craft glue to edge of fold. Place on box (or egg). Let dry.