Make these fun secret messages for that special someone.
Secret Message with Grape Juice
Tools and Materials
White watercolor paper
Decorative paper and card stock
Self-adhesive laminating sheets, or laminating machine
Grape juice (The acid in the grape juice reacts with the baking soda, which is a base, to change the color of the paper, revealing the message.)
Grape Juice Secret Message How-To
1. In a small bowl, mix equal parts baking soda and water.
2. Using a paintbrush, write a secret message with the baking soda mixture on a piece of white watercolor paper. You should be able to see the message while it is still wet; if it's hard to see, look at the paper at an angle as you write.
3. Allow the message to dry completely (about 10 minutes).
4. Brush off excess baking soda residue with a dry sponge.
5. To make a water-resistant card, cut pieces of decorative paper or card stock slightly bigger than the secret message paper. Sandwich the card between 2 sheets of laminate material, or run it through a laminating machine.
6. Using double-sided tape, attach the watercolor paper with the invisible message to the top of the laminated card.
7. Present the card with a spray bottle of grape juice. Instruct the recipient to spray the grape juice on the card to reveal the secret message. Note: The message must be lying flat until dry or the grape juice (and message!) will drip off.
Secret Message with Sunglasses
Tools and Materials
"I Love You" template
"Be Mine" template
Heart sunglasses template
Card stock in Valentine's Day colors
Library pocket or other small open-ended envelope
Secret Message with Sunglasses How-To
1. Print the template for the "I Love You" or "Be Mine" secret message on white card stock.
2. Cut out the secret message and the poem for the inside of the card.
3. Using a bone folder, score and fold a 9 3/4-inch-by-7 1/2-inch piece of card stock down the middle lengthwise (this will give you a 9 1/4-by-3 3/4-inch card, which is perfect for business-size envelopes).
4. Using double-sided tape, adhere the secret message to outside of the card and the poem to the inside of the card.
5. Print the heart sunglasses template.
6. From card stock, cut 2 front pieces and 2 arms. Cut out the hearts in the middle of the front pieces.
7. Cut out the third template piece from red cellophane.
8. Use a glue stick to attach the tabs on the arms to the tabs on either side of one of the front pieces, with the hooks of the arms both facing down.
9. Glue the cellophane piece to the front piece, positioning so that it is over the heart-shaped holes.
10. Fold the tabs back on the second front piece. Glue the second front piece over the cellophane, tabs sticking up, sandwiching the cellophane and creating "lenses." Fold the arms up to meet the tabs on the second front piece, securing with a dab of the glue stick. Let dry for about 15 minutes.
11. Using double-sided tape, attach a library pocket to inside cover of the card.
12. Fold sunglasses like you would real ones, and slide into library pocket. Present card in a business-sized envelope.
All materials and tools are available at marthastewartcrafts.com. Business-size envelopes with button-string ties are from Paper Presentation.