Cathie Black, president of Hearst Magazines, is a leading figure in American publishing. She oversees 19 magazines, including such icons as Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Popular Mechanics, and O, the Oprah Magazine. She also is responsible for 200 international editions in 100 countries. Below are her five tips for succeeding at work and in life, which are featured in her new book, "Basic Black: The Essential Guide for Getting Ahead at Work (and in Life)."
1. Figure out what you are passionate about and pursue those passions in your career and in your life.
2. Don't dwell too long on mistakes -- just keep moving forward.
3. Be optimistic about change and be open to it.
4. Take educated risks, but be prepared for any eventuality. Taking risks can be scary, but it can also be exhilarating and career-boosting.
5. Live a full, 360-degree life that is enriching both personally and professionally.