Tools and Materials
For the Frame
Precut chicken wire
10-inch-long 1-by-2 piece of wood
Staple gun and staples
Two 3-inch wood screws (for attaching the head)
For the Legs
1/8-inch armature wire
Roll of black electrical tape
Black cable ties
Black tinsel garland
For Filling Frame
Box of garbage bags
Adhesive spray glue
For Making Head and Attaching to Body
One 5-inch Styrofoam ball
Martha Stewart glitter set, black, red and crystal
Martha Stewart craft glue
Martha Stewart glitter glue
Press-on nails (for teeth)
Red rhinestones (for eyes)
Hot-glue gun and hot glue
Black Spider Craft How-To
1. Precut chicken wire into a 24-by-30-inch octagon.
2. Prepaint a 10-inch-long 1-by-2 black. Place the 1-by-2 in the center of the chicken wire.
3. Fold chicken wire over wood and staple sides down to secure, making inverted tucks at the corners. Form wire into a rounded loaf shape.
4. Screw in two 3-inch wood screws halfway at one end of the 1-by-2; these will be used to secure the head later in the craft.
1. Cut 4 pieces of 1/8-inch armature wire to 4 feet long.
2. Precut 6-by-6-inch squares from black garbage bags, using about 12 bags.
3. Wrap armature wire with black electrical tape.
4. Secure sets of legs with cable ties on chicken-wire frame, straddling the 1-by-2.
5. Flip spider body over and spray with adhesive.
6. Insert precut garbage-bag squares in cage holes with the eraser end of a pencil.
7. Wrap black tinsel garland around the wire legs and shape legs.
1. Using a melon baller, scoop out a scary smile and shape with your fingers to form the mouth in the Styrofoam ball.
2. Coat the Styrofoam ball in glue and use black glitter for the face and red glitter for inside of the mouth.
Eyes and Teeth
1. Coat press-on nails with glue and cover in crystal glitter. Force teeth in mouth with a dab of glue.
2. Hot glue plastic red rhinestones in place for the eyes.
3. Place hot glue on wood screws and attach head to body.
Most tools and materials can be found at hardware stores. The glitter and the glue can be found at marthastewartcrafts.com and the black tinsel garland used on the legs can be found at barnardltd.com.