Make these elegant paper-cut designs from artist Keith Bonnstetter for a beautiful Mother's Day gift or as a distinctive year-round decoration for the home.
Tools and Materials
- 8 1/2-by-11-inch white acid-free paper
- Paper-cut design template
- No. 2 pencil
- Tracing paper
- Small craft scissors
- Colored mat board
- Double-sided tape
- 8-by-8-inch frame
Paper-Cut Designs How-To
1. Fold a piece of 8 1/2-by-11-inch white acid-free paper in half. Fold in half again. Position paper so that folded edges are to the right and bottom. Fold top layer so that bottom folded edge aligns with right folded edge. Flip over and match bottom folded edge to left folded edge, so that all folded edges come to one point.
Tip: Line up all edges exactly, with no overhangs, and press folds flat with bone folder.
2. Print template. Choose a design and trace onto tracing paper with a No. 2 pencil. Turn tracing paper over, and align point and edges of design with folded paper. Use a bone folder to transfer design onto paper.
3. Cut paper along transferred lines with small craft scissors, starting at outside of design and working your way toward center (this keeps paper from shifting). Carefully unfold paper.
4. To frame the design, cut an 8-by-8-inch piece of colored mat board. Place 3 to 4 small pieces of double-sided tape on the pencil-marked side of the cutout, around the outside of the design.
5. Place paper design on colored mat board, making sure it's centered; press to adhere. Frame mat board with design in an 8-by-8-inch frame.