Turn everyday cardboard into a whimsical winter wonderland with this step-by-step process.
Tools and Materials
Village and tree templates
Large pieces of cardboard (at least 32 inches long)
Box cutter and/or craft knife
Paint and glitter in desired colors
Two strings of floral LED lights and batteries
Reusable adhesive putty
Cardboard Village How-To
1. Print the templates for the village and trees (four pages each) and tape together, in order, lining up dotted lines.
2. Attach village template to the "wrong" (dirty or printed) side of a large piece of cardboard and cut out entire shape from cardboard with a box cutter or craft knife. Repeat with tree template on a second piece of cardboard.
3. Make the base: Cut two 32-by-6-inch rectangles of cardboard. In the center of one of these rectangles, cut an 1/8-inch-wide-by-31-inch slit to hold the trees. In the same rectangle, cut a centered 29-inch slit one inch from one long side to hold the houses. Place double-sided tape on the underside of the slit rectangle and attach to the second rectangle, lining up the edges.
4. Paint and/or glitter the trees and village as desired. Use brushstrokes of paint or glittering glue to define boughs on trees. Add "snow" to houses and trees with coarse or tinsel glitter, if desired. Allow to dry.
5. Tape pieces of vellum to the backs of the village windows. Attach two strings of floral lights to the back of the village with tape, so that one light is positioned in each window and door.
6. Carefully place village in smaller slit on base, and trees in center slit. Use reusable adhesive putty to anchor the pieces in the base, if necessary. Place battery packs behind trees on base.
"80T" shipping box from The UPS Store. "Naked wire" LED lights from Jamali Garden. Museum Putty reusable adhesive from The Container Store. Crystal fine glitter, Carrara Marble tinsel glitter, and all other tools and materials from Martha Stewart Crafts.
Let the Certified Packing Experts at The UPS Store pack and ship your holiday gifts. For more information, visit theupsstore.com.