Package gift cards or small gifts in this charming container for a special occasion.
Tools and Materials
Purse templates part 1 and part 2
Decorative paper or card stock
Double-sided adhesive, such as Double-Tack or Xyron permanent
Adhesive, or a glue stick
Pearl or gem sticker
Adhesive foam dot
Gift Purse How-To
1. Print templates. Lay templates on decorative paper and staple all around each shape to temporarily hold in place. Score on dotted lines and cut on solid lines to create "part 1" and "part 2" of the purse. Fold creases where scored. Punch holes where indicated.
2. Cover one side of part 1 shape with double-sided adhesive, leaving out the "tab" of the shape (do not apply adhesive from curved end to two folds down from curved end).
3. Remove paper backing from double-sided adhesive and lay the part 1 shape along the length of the part 2 shape. Burnish to smooth out any bumps. Fold up into a purse shape, pushing the smallest folds in the opposite direction, in toward the center.
4. Thread a ribbon handle through the punched holes and knot on both ends. Add an adhesive jewel to the front of the tab for a "clasp," and an adhesive foam dot under the tab.
5. Put a square of tissue paper and a small gift in the purse. Remove backing from adhesive foam dot and press in place to secure.
Martha was inspired to make this gift purse by an Anya Hindmarch pocketbook that contains an inscription from her mother, Mrs. Kostyra. Double-sided adhesive sheets are available at most art-supply or crafts stores. Special thanks to Mario Badescu for giving gift certificates to our studio audience.