Tools and Materials
Mineral spirits (artist-grade and odorless)
Clear liquid dishwashing detergent
Cheesecloth or tamper
Plastic spoon or bone scraper
Crayon Stain Removal How-To
1. Place a wash cloth or cheesecloth underneath stained fabric.
2. Apply mineral spirits with an applicator bottle.
3. Blot stain with a cheese cloth or tamping tool.
4. Apply isopropyl alcohol to flush out mineral spirits. Let fabric air-dry completely or use hair dryer on air with no heat setting. Feather it from outside to center, to avoid creating rings.
5. Apply a mixture of water and dishwashing soap. Rub in with plastic spoon or bone scraper.
6. Scoop off dye. Remove washcloth or cheesecloth from beneath fabric.
7. Launder fabric in washing machine using appropriate cycle.
Mineral spirits can be found at art-supply shops.
Jonathan Scheer of J. Scheer & Co. and Crayola