Tell your special someone you love them this Valentine's Day with this one-of-a-kind heart card.
Tools and Materials
Printer or copier
Craft knife or scissors
Sewing machine or needle and thread
Large sheet of red oak tag
Organza or other lightweight fabric
Large sheet of red paper
Embellishments, decorations, small handmade flowers
Personal photo (optional)
1. Enlarge heart template 300 percent on a printer or copier. Print the template onto several sheets of paper and tape the pieces together to make one large template.
2. Trace full template onto a large sheet of red oak tag. With a bone folder, score oak tag on fold (dotted) lines.
3. Cut traced shape from oak tag. Fold the two flaps created by the folds in toward the center, creating the front "doors" to the heart card.
4. Cut a thin, lightweight fabric into 2-inch strips. Sew a running stitch along one side of each strip, about 1/2 inch from the edge.
5. Glitter the opposite edge (the edge without stitching) of the fabric strips.
6. To form a ruffle, pull the end of the running stitch thread while holding the end of the fabric strip, gathering the fabric.
7. Add a line of glue along the running stitch on the ruffles. Glue the ruffles around the outside edge of the heart doors. Hold down and apply pressure for a few seconds to secure.
8. Trace No. 2 heart from heart template on red paper, and cut out.
9. Apply double-sided adhesive to back of red paper heart No. 2 and trim excess.
10. Cut paper heart No. 2 in half.
11. Stick each paper heart half to each front door, hiding the stitched edges of the ruffles and lining up the heart halves in the center.
12. Trace No. 3 heart from heart template on organza fabric (iron fabric first, if wrinkled). Apply double-sided adhesive to one side of the fabric. Glitter the outside edges of this heart. Cut organza heart No. 3 in half. Stick each heart half to the center of each front door, over the red paper heart, lining up the heart halves in the center.
13. Add decorations and handmade flowers to the front of the card. Tip: To get a long stem on flower, wrap wire with floral tape and keep going until desired length is reached.
14. Use the No. 4 or No. 5 hearts from theheart template to create a pocket on the inside; fasten the bottom edges of the heart to inside of the card with double-sided tape. Place tickets or coupons inside the pocket. Affix a heart-shaped cutout of a photo to the front of the pocket, if desired.
15. Glue each side of a frog closure to each door; fasten the frog to secure the flaps closed.
Embellishments, decorations, and small handmade flowers are available attinseltrading.com. Craft glue, glitter, tape, and paper are available atmarthastewartcrafts.com.