A basic pair of wings can serve as the basis for many different costumes.
Tools and Materials
18-gauge steel wire
Bat wings template
Fairy wings template
Dragonfly wings template
Black spiderweb tights, for bat costume
Colored Halloween "hair spray"
Clear elastic (1 foot)
Winged Costume How-To
1. Download and enlarge bat wings template,fairy wings template, or dragonfly wings template; trace onto kraft paper.
2. Wrap 18-gauge steel wire with black tape.
3. Bend wire into 3-D shape. First form top shape, then the bottom with another length of wire.
4. Join top and bottom shapes with a piece of duct tape.
5. Cut a leg off panty hose. Slide over bottom of one wing. Pull taut and tie a knot in the back of wire structure.
6. Repeat for bottom of other wing, then tops of wings.
7. Using colored Halloween "hair spray," spray both wings black.
8. Glue on plastic gems to back and front of wings.
9. To make the harness, one by one, sew the ends of a foot of clear elastic to the front of the knot in middle of wings.
Fairy Costume Variation
Follow the same process as butterfly costume, except step 6. Tie off both top and bottom of wings. Then, use follow rest of process, using white Halloween hair spray for step 7.
Materials can be found at major crafts stores.
Special thanks to Danskin, Lands' End, andAmerican Apparel for providing all the clothing items featured with today's winged costumes.