A home office is the ideal spot for a family planner. Six weeks' worth of squares in a variety of shades can accommodate several schedules. The entire wall is also coated with chalkboard paint for more memos. Start with a base coat of store-bought black chalkboard paint, then mix in varying amounts of white chalkboard paint for lighter squares.
Tools and Materials
Black chalkboard paint
White chalkboard paint
Make Custom Color Chalkboard Paint
Wall Calendar How-To
We chose 4 shades of paint to make our calendar. You can use as few as 2 shades for a checkerboard pattern.
1. Paint entire wall with store-bought black chalkboard paint; let dry for 1 to 2 hours.
2. Mark the perimeter of the calendar with a pencil (to accommodate 8-inch squares, ours measured 48 inches high by 56 inches across).
3. Using painters' tape, mark off the B squares according to the diagram below.
4. Make B paint by mixing 4 parts black chalkboard paint with 1 part homemade white chalkboard paint. Paint B squares. Remove tape. Let dry about an hour.
5. Repeat process for C and D squares using the proportions pictured above.