These faux-porcelain bird-branch napkin rings, place cards, and pins make a perfect handmade gift.
Tools and Materials
Small branch or twig
Small artificial flower
Small artificial birds
Sturdy scissors or pruners
White acrylic paint
Hot-glue gun and glue sticks
All-purpose sewing thread
Resin and white resin pigment
Napkin rings, place card holders, or pin backs
Faux-Porcelain Bird-Branch How-To
1. Snip a piece of branch that is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long. Clip buds and any excess foliage or stems from the artificial flower.
2. Paint branch and artificial flowers white.
3. With a hot-glue gun, glue the artificial flower and artificial bird onto the small branch.
4. Tie thread around the back of the flower or branch.
5. Mix resin (hardener and epoxy) and add the white pigment according to package instructions.
6. Dip the bird branch into the mixed resin (you can wear gloves for this step if you feel you need them).
7. Hang the bird branch by the white thread from a sturdy rod or branch to dry. Allow to dry, undisturbed, for about 12 hours.
8. The completed bird branch can be attached to napkin rings, place-card holders, or pins with hot glue or epoxy. Tip: For an extra-festive napkin ring, attach a ribbon with hot glue.
The resin used in this craft is Easy Cast Clear Casting Epoxy with Castin' Craft color pigment in white, and can be purchased at eti-usa.com. Branches can be found outside. Birds and fake flowers can be purchased at crafts stores. Martha used birds from B & J Florist Supply, 103 West 28th Street, New York, New York, 10001, 212-564-6086.