Sew a beautiful lace-inset table runner with a romantic, classic appeal following these step-by-step instructions.
Tools and Materials
Linen fabric, enough yardage for the length of the desired table runner plus 4 inches.
Rotary cutter, grid ruler, and self-healing mat
Mitered corner diagram
1-inch or wider lace
Water-soluble fabric marker
Pfaff Creative 2.0 Sewing and Embroidery Machine
Applique scissors (optional)
Martha Stewart Embroidery Collection No. 002
Lace Inset Table Runner How-To
1. Prepare fabric by spraying with spray starch and ironing. Determine the measurements of your runner, and add 2 inches to the width and 4 inches to the length for the hem. Cut fabric to these dimensions.
2. On the short ends, cut fabric into a 45-degree-angle chevron or "V" shape. Press a 2-inch hem and sew a mitered corner on the chevrons.
3. Press a 2-inch hem into the two long sides.
4. Cut four lengths of lace a few inches longer than the edges of the chevrons. Seam two lengths of lace at a 45 degree angle; repeat for other two lengths of lace.
5. With a water-soluble fabric marker, mark a guide line on the front of the runner, 2 inches from the edge of each chevron, and pin lace to front of fabric along these lines.
6. Attach lace on both sides with a hemstitch, using a wing needle in your sewing machine. This stitch captures the hem on the backside for a clean finish, and the wing needle creates a hole that blends well with the lace.
7. If you wish, trim the fabric behind the lace with applique scissors to create a lace "window" that shows the tablecloth underneath.
8. Measure to the center of the chevron and mark with a water-soluble fabric marker; use this as your guide to place embroidered initials with the Pfaff Creative 2.0 embroidery arm.
Linen fabric from Gray Line Linen. Lace from M & J Trimming. All other tools and materials available at your local sewing-supply store. The Pfaff Creative 2.0 sewing machine and embroidery machine is part of the new Creative line from Pfaff that bring affordable, high-quality features, to sewers. To learn more or how you can find one at an authorized retailer near you visit pfaffusa.com.
Special thanks to SVP Worldwide for giving the studio audience Martha Stewart Embroidery Collection No. 002. This collection of embroidery designs, the second in a series by Martha Stewart and SVP Worldwide, features a new script font for making beautiful monograms with a romantic, classic appeal, nodding to traditional embroidery while keeping the style fresh. In addition to the script font in three sizes, also included are the playful and sweet Daisy, Swiss Dot, and Dotted Chain patterns, designed to create a clean, contemporary feel when paired with the script font. The collection features 96 designs. Available at local authorized Husqvarna Viking, Pfaff and Singer retailers.