These adorable mittens made from an old sweater are sure to make an extra-special holiday gift.
Tools and Materials
Needle and thread
1. Before starting these mittens you will need to felt your sweater. Simply wash and dry a sweater-using hot water in your washing machine, and a hot dryer setting to dry. The soap, water, and heat will cause the fibers to felt. You may need to repeat this process a few times since every sweater is different.
2. Test your sweater for felting by snipping the edge. It should not fray. If it does, wash and dry again.
1. Place your hand on the pattern paper and trace around.
2. Add 1/2-inch seam allowance around the pattern. Cut out your mitten shapes from the paper. Place your pattern on the sweater, with the wrist at the bottom edge of the sweater.
3. Stitch edge with 1/4-inch seam allowance.
4. Turn mittens right side out and steam with an iron to finish.