Display plants in a whimsical way with this beautiful, long-lasting terrarium.
Tools and Materials
- Large glass container with lid
- Horticultural charcoal
- Orchid bark
- Potting soil
- Plants and moss
- Rocks, pinecones, seedpods, driftwood, butterflies for embellishing
- Long tweezers
- Wine cork
- Spray bottle filled with water
- Battery-powered LED string lights
- Metal/glass epoxy
- Transparent tape
- Sheets of bark cut into 1-by-3/4-inch "shingles"
- Hot-glue gun and hot-glue sticks
1. Add a layer of gravel to bottom of large glass container.
2. Mix together 1 part horticultural charcoal with 3 parts orchid bark; layer about 1 inch of mixture on top of gravel. Add a thin layer of soil on top of the mixture.
3. Create the "landscape" with clumps of moss, miniature orchids, ferns, etc. Embellish with rocks, pinecones, seedpods, driftwood, butterflies, etc. Use long tweezers to arrange items, and a skewer with a cork stuck to the end to gently tamp soil and plants in place.
4. Generously spray terrarium contents with water.
5. Attach battery pack for floral lights to underside of lid with metal/glass epoxy. Arrange string of floral lights in a spiral pattern within underside of lid, attaching with transparent tape.
6. Use hot glue to attach bark "shingles" onto top of lid. Sprinkle contents of terrarium with glitter. Place lid on terrarium.
Large glass container is available from Crate and Barrel. Naked-wire LED floral light strings may be found at Jamali Garden Supply. White-gold glitter is from Martha Stewart Crafts. All other tools and supplies are available at most garden centers and craft-supply stores.
Plants used on the show:
- Cushion moss (leucobryum)
- Hair cap moss (polytrichum)
- Reindeer moss (cladonia rangiferina)
- Irish moss (sagina subulata)
- Fern moss (selaginella)
- Club moss (selaginella krausiana)
- Autumn fern (dryoptersis erythrosora)
- Mini phalaenopsis orchids
- Baby's tears (soleirolia soleirolii)