Add some fun and fashion to everyday dog-cleanup bags.
Tools and Materials
Plastic shopping bags
Size "0" grommet and grommet setter
1/2-inch loose-leaf ring
Swivel-eye snap hook
Biodegradable dog-waste bags
Dog-Cleanup Bags How-To
1. Cut a plastic bag (or several plastic bags) into eight 5-by-7-inch pieces.
2. Stack four of the cut plastic pieces and place between two pieces of parchment paper. Make sure all layers of plastic are flat, with edges aligned. With an iron set on the wool/silk setting, iron the stack, fusing the plastic together within the parchment. Repeat with the other four plastic pieces. You may need to let the piece cool and iron again a few times to fuse completely.
3. Cut out an applique -- a shape, a letter, or a silhouette -- from a plastic bag of a different color for the front of the pouch. Place the shape on the fused plastic piece that will be the front of your bag. Place a piece of parchment paper over the whole thing and press with the iron to fuse.
4. Trim both pieces down to 4 by 6 inches. Layer the pieces on top of each other on a piece of parchment paper. Put a metal ruler along one long edge, leaving 1/8 inch of the edge exposed. Place a piece of parchment on top and iron to create a seam along that edge, taking care not to iron the rest of the bag together. Repeat for the other long edge and the bottom of the bag.
5. Use pinking shears to cut the top of the bag, creating a decorative edge. Add a grommet to the top corner and attach a snap hook with a loose-leaf ring. Fill with biodegradable dog-waste bags.
All hardware and tools are available at hardware stores. Parchment paper is available at grocery stores. Biodegradable waste bags are available at pet stores.