Tools and Materials
Fabric of your choice (silk or rayon)
1-inch wooden beads
Bead Necklace How-To
1. Use a thin piece of fabric (preferably silk or rayon).
2. Cut fabric so the length is 55 inches and the width is 5 inches. (If your fabric isn't long enough, piece together two swatches to make the right length.)
3. Sew the sides of the fabric together to form a tube. Leave ends open.
4. Take a loop turner and turn tube inside out.
5. Take a 1-inch wooden bead and slide the bead to center of tube.
6. Hold the bead tightly to mark center. Tie a tight knot on each side of center bead. Repeat process until you have about 8 beads inside fabric.
7. Sew ends closed on a sewing machine.
8. Leave enough fabric on the ends to tie it around your neck (about 11 to 12 inches total).
Learn more about Julie Pennington Hardee and her designs at jphardee.com. The 1-inch solid wood beads (Item No. WD-DP-9103-93) used in today's segment are from Sunshine Crafts, sunshinecrafts.com. Julie recommends going to local fabric stories and thrift or vintage stores to find vintage scarves to use as the fabric for the bead necklaces.