Tools and Materials
Large deep bin
Prepared pulp mixture
Mold and deckle
Stainless steel tray
Palm Paper How-To
1. Fill a large deep bin 3 to 4 inches high with water, then add prepared pulp mixture and mix by hand to disperse fiber and dissolve clumps
2. Pre-wet mold and deckle before dipping.
3. In a fluid motion, submerge mold and deckle into prepared vat with pulp and water mixture; be sure you capture pulp evenly on paper mold.
3. Lift and shake back and forth to spread evenly.
4. Transfer mold and deckle to a tray and allow to drain for about 10 minutes.
5. Remove deckle (frame) from swap.
6. Cover a large, flat, stainless steel tray with felt wool and interface; moisten both materials before transferring pulp to pellon.
7. Place presoaked plant fibers on a base sheet of abaca. (The fibers will meld with the pulp if they are soaked in advance for 24 hours.) Use a squeeze bottle with pulp mixture to fill in gaps, if necessary.
8. Line up mold and flip onto plant fibers; push on mold and apply pressure, then lift mold.
9. Cover abaca with partially moist interface and allow to dry for 24 hours.