Slumber parties are a delightful rite of passage for young girls, and a little planning and creativity can make them extra-special.
Darcy Miller, editorial director at Martha Stewart Weddings, recently hosted a slumber party for two dozen girls at event space Asphalt Green to celebrate her daughter Ella's fifth birthday.
Darcy shares some crowd-pleasing ideas from the party.
Let creativity shine by having the girls decorate plain pillowcases with a variety of designs and embellishments.
Flashlights give the slumber party a distinctly nocturnal feel, and they double as take-home favors when decorated with pretty beads.
Send party guests home with customized diaries adorned with stickers and glitter, perfect for recounting favorite memories from the night before.
Martha Stewart Crafts Products
Create dazzling slumber party invitations like Darcy's with these simple materials.
Accessories and Favors
Choose some of the following whimsical products to give as adorable treats and party favors.
- "Fancy Nancy and the Late, Late, LATE Night" book (HarperCollins), Amazon
- Sleepover Mad Libs, Amazon
- "Goodnight Moon" book (HarperCollins), Amazon
- Prism balls, Old Navy
- Pink boas and light-up diamond rings, PartyMart
- Glow-in-the-dark star wands, InAndOutGifts.com
- Favor boxes and custom stickers, Namemaker
- Alarm clocks, Present Time
- Pails, Pottery Barn
- Jelly beans, chocolate-covered gummy bears, and strawberry circus sticks, Dylan's Candy Bar
- Teddy bears, Build-A-Bear
- Lollipops, Hammond's Candies
- Amscan paper cups, Amazon
- Horns, Party Partners
- Chocolate bear and star pops, Chocolate Favor World
- Cake, One Tough Cookie
Party photo by Donna Newman. Illustration by Darcy Miller Designs. Download the Clip Art