Tools and Materials
- Cheese grater
- Bar of soap
- Small container
- Gray and white wool roving
- Old stocking
- Bowl of warm water
Felted Stone Soap How-To
1. With a cheese grater, grate the bar of soap into a more organic "stone" shape. Start by shredding and smoothing the edges. Reserve soap shavings by grating over a small container.
2. Ball up half the shavings in your hand and press into one flat side of the soap with your fingers. Repeat for the other flat side with the remaining shavings.
3. Wrap thin layers of gray wool roving around the soap until the soap is completely covered. Add a thin, narrow piece of white roving to create a natural sediment strip in the stone.
4. Carefully place wool-covered bar into a foot cut from an old stocking. Briefly dunk stocking with soap into a bowl of warm water. Roll soap between hands to build a lather. Continue agitating the wool fibers in the lather, re-wetting as needed in the warm water, for about five minutes or until the soap is completely felted. Remove soap from stocking and allow to dry.
Cheese grater with container available from Macy's. Wool fibers available from Halcyon Yarn. Soap available from Whole Foods Market or any store that sells hygiene products.