We all have a little trouble in the morning. Here are a few ideas Dr. Klauer recommends to get your day started right:
Eat a high-protein breakfast
The rumors are true -- breakfast really is the most important meal of your day. Start with high-protein in the morning, and you'll want to snack less throughout the day.
A few breakfast ideas
- Breakfast quesadilla with whole-wheat wrap, chicken, fresh salsa, sliced mango, and low-fat cheese
- Smoked salmon and melon
- Low-fat ricotta, cinnamon, and fruit
And if you don't have time for a sit-down meal, try these on-the-go ideas:
- Low-fat yogurt with blueberries
- In a bag: one omega-3 hard-boiled egg, a piece of fruit, and a skim mozzarella stick
- Dr. Klauer also recommends trying to cut out sugar in morning. Sugar (found in certain cereals and juices) causes your blood sugar to spike, then crash, leaving you exhausted and right back where you started.
Don't Hit Snooze!
When your alarm rings, get up straight away. The reason you're not ready to get up is because you haven't had enough sleep. Because sleep occurs in stages -- you need to complete each cycle of sleep to be restorative. The snooze button is simply interrupting the cycle and leaving you groggy. To feel your best, go to bed at an hour that will allow you to wake naturally. Dr. Klauer also recommends a gradually lighting alarm clock like the Soleil Sunrise Alarm Clock or the Verilux "Rise & Shine" Bedside Lamp.
Loosing steam in the middle of your day? Instead of reaching for that extra cup of coffee, try a high-energy light lunch: fresh vegetables and fish or chicken nourishes the body and mind.
Dr. Klauer recommends the following steps to combat those nasty cravings:
- Drink a large glass of water and wait for 15 minutes for the craving to pass
- Snacks are good to have but be sure that they're healthy! A few healthy snack ideas: crudites and Greek yogurt dip, a piece of fruit and a handful of nuts, fresh berries, organic almond butter, apple slices, 2 ounces of low fat cheese, or 1 cup of raw veggies
Special thanks to Dr. Jana Klauer, www.janaklauermd.com.
The Rise and Shine Natural Alarm Clock is available at www.veriluxstore.com. The Soleil Sun Alarm is from www.soleilsunalarm.com.